Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Why take photographs?

Or at least why do I?


Currently I take two very different sorts of pictures - the ones I feel inspired, even compelled, to take for their own sake and the ones I take to document bits of my daily life for the friends who now live too far away. 

It’s the photos I take because I’m moved in some way that I’m thinking about here.  Something I’ll see amazes or captivates me for any of many reasons: beauty, poignancy, mystery, humor, the unexpected, some reasons I can’t even explain. That’s a moment of heightened experience – I feel alert and excited when I’m connecting with a subject that interests me.  Without a camera I could certainly absorb the experience, and then hold it in my memory or let it float away like everything else that’s ephemeral.  So why the urge to photograph it?  I think because at that moment what I’m seeing is possessing me, and I in turn want to possess it.  There may be some sort of basic instinct in this, like magpies and crows snatching and hoarding bright shiny things.  I confess I’m a hoarder of images.  Lucky for me the digital ones take up so little space.
 
Three friends out for a walk in Oakland.  It turns out those glasses
 really are made for dogs and you can order them online
The camera can stop time, or at least catch a piece of it – I can feel like I have that moment back again whenever I look at the photo.  I love being able to revisit places I’ve been, and I can revisit the self I was when I took the picture.
winding through San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
And of course, I have an impulse to share what I saw with anyone else who might appreciate it as I do.  So it’s a means of connecting with others, in the same way I feel a connection to some photographer or artist I’ll never meet who created an image out of a sensibility similar to mine.

I know some of the things that attract me, and some I’m still in the process of discovering.
Plant and flower forms interest me. 
Certain color combinations.
Extreme close-ups.  I want to go in macro-close sometimes – I like the sense of intimacy it creates, the shift in scale taking me into another world, or as though I could get deeper into the heart of something. 
Outlines and other things that emphasize line; shapes that line up in a serendipitous way.
People.  Well, I’ve got mixed impulses here.  I love seeing other photographers’ images of interesting people, but I feel very awkward about taking them myself, not wanting to intrude or offend.  At an early age I must have been told it’s not polite to stare at people, and what’s an aimed camera but an ultra supreme stare.
Odd, ambiguous or inexplicable signage. 
coming soon to a farmers' market near you

 The daily life documentation photos pretty much take care of themselves. They serve their purpose as long as I give them enough light and reasonably crisp focus,
like this one, to show my friends a couple of the tomatoes I grew in a plastic tub in my side yard – a variety called “Celebrity” – with virtually no seeds and very red flesh throughout.

This has been a good exercise – raising many more questions for me about my relationship to photography than I’ve managed to answer.   The photographs I included in this post were taken with my S70, but I'll soon be doing more with the new camera.

11 comments:

  1. Oh my - the contrast of the bright red tomatoes on the stark white plate is simply gorgeous! I am salivating right now :)

    I have never thought of taking pictures because of outlines and shapes - but my mantra for 2012 is to slow down and notice the details. I will try to pay special attention to these kinds of details in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've answered the question so clearly and I can so relate to the impulse to snatch something that captivates you. Like you I am hesitant to point my camera at people although there are so many times I'd like to do that. Probably having a big long zoom lens would make it more possible. Most of my photographs of people end up showing their backs. Those dogs are just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely rose - I love those twirly centre petals just before they open up to reveal their stamens!

    I love the street picture with the colourful houses and the way you caught the curve in the road which makes me want to go further into the scene. The upper part of the picture is lovely with the trees and the mauve bushes and faraway hill which gives a gentle depth to the whole shot. Really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flower is appealing. A lot of us seem to be drawn to macros like this. The photo of the dogs with sunglasses, priceless. Great capture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just snort laughed at the Tasty Salted Pig Parts photo! Did you try said salted pig parts? Were they indeed tasty? What I love about this picture is, combined with the caption, it totally gives me insight into your sense of humor! Photography is definitely a connection to others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried said salted pig parts. Our farmer's market is in a laid back, but sophisticated, north Oakland/Berkeley neighborhood, so I think the vendor chose the sign with a sense of humor. My boyfriend and I are not vegetarians, but we don't eat much meat, and he won't eat pork and keeps his sodium levels in check, so we think that sign is hysterically funny.

      The closest I've ever come to eating pig PARTS was in a budget cafeteria on the left bank in Paris once when I mistook a plate of pigs knuckle for a piece of fried fish. As soon as I cut into fat I realized my mistake. But I figured people eat pigs knuckles so I could manage it too. I cut the whole thing to pieces looking for some meat and swear I never found even a sliver between the fat and bone. Only one wasted lunch, but a great memory of the kind of little adventures you get to have in foreign travel.

      Delete
  6. I really like your answer to the question, a lot of it rings true for me as well.
    I really like your street picture with all the colourful buildings - it is so bright and cheery. Your tomatoes look delicious too.
    Tasty Salted Pig Parts - mmmm, think I might give them a miss lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your descriptions of the elements that motivate and inform your photography. I can relate to the snatching and hoarding of images and love the comparison to magpies and crows! Such gorgeous color in the rose and those little dogs with their funny glasses make me smile :)

    In answer to your question, actually most of my photography is in color, although I do love B&W. My photo blog is Alchemy of Art (vandemarkdesigns.blogspot.com). Surprisingly, flowers often look lovely in B&W. It seems to bring out their amazingly detailed form.

    Happy creating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a wonderful articulation of why you photograph. Your words are like poetry-- "I like the sense of intimacy it creates, the shift in scale taking me into another world, or as though I could get deeper into the heart of something". That's lovely! And I totally relate to your hesitation about shooting people. Those are beautiful photos, and I look forward to sharing class with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love your answer, those dogs are too cute, i couldn't imagine mine keeping them on her head!! you captured it well & tasty salted pig parts, hmmmm?? ;)

    ReplyDelete