Friday, January 20, 2012

50 photos of a favorite subject


How do I love thee?  Let me count the ways.

The assignment this week was to take 50 photographs of a familiar subject, challenging me to go beyond my familiar ways of seeing it.  It turned out to be an exhilarating, liberating experience.  I chose a sweet baby cyclamen in a little stoneware pot that sits out on the railing of the stairs to my side yard.  It was already an inspiration for having grown itself from a seed of a spent flower dropped from an old gift plant.  After putting out four little leaves this past fall, it couldn’t wait to start blooming and by Thanksgiving was showing off the same flowers that are still on it now in mid January, though it did produce one more leaf.  Here it is in a no frills photo at the beginning of this exercise, with the neighboring apartment building in the background.

To increase the challenge, I decided not to move the pot in any way and to accept the fact that this area at this time of year is in perpetual shade.  So no lovely sunlight through the petals. 

Now the adventure began.  Once I get behind the lens, time means nothing, unless I happen to be with someone else who’s operating on Human Standard Time.  Since I was alone here, I kept going until my fingers got too cold, took a break and then went at it again.  I easily took more than 100 photos.  In the evening I sorted through the images I’d taken, decided I’d missed some options, and took another 50 shots the next day.

None are outstanding, but here are a few I sort of like and probably wouldn’t have taken were it not for this assignment.


I considered editing out that little bit of stem on the lower left, but the photo seems somehow weaker without it, as though it provides a hint of anchoring context.
 
I like the slight moodiness here.  And with all but the flowers quite neutral it almost looks like a black and white photo except for the jolt of magenta.  The patches of light on the wall are bounced reflections off the windows of the neighboring building.


The most fun came when I’d exhausted the obvious angles and distances.  In fact I began to experiment with being playfully, willfully “baaad,” by which I mean deliberately breaking as many of my unspoken rules of what a photograph should look like as I could.  Because this entire experience was far more important for me than any of the resulting images, I’m going to show a slew of examples below, including “wrong” ones. 

I framed with the image divided almost in quarters

I ignored most of the plant

I got as far away as I could without losing the color of the cyclamen

more deliberately odd framing

leaving most of the frame empty

focussing entirely on the background and abstracting the flowers
I’ve gained so much that I think I’d like to do this 50 (or more) challenge at least once a month.  The only drawback is that the amount of time taking the photos didn’t come close to the amount of time I spent poring over them afterward, assessing and sometimes making Photoshop adjustments. But I wasn’t bored or tired of the process for a second.  

11 comments:

  1. What a lovely set of photos of that vibrant cyclamen in a pot.

    I like the first one because the pot is in its normal surroundings which have a lot of lines as opposed to the round pot.

    The second shot is really great. I agree, that little bit of stem in the lower left has its importance.

    I love the angles on shot 4. Nice balance in this one.

    That little bud in its textured stone pot is really lovely because of the graceful angle it has. It seems to be saying "hi" to the pot!

    I like the one with most of the frame empty too. The red stalk comes out so well in that one.

    Lovely captures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment about not being with someone on Human Standard Time made me laugh. I also suffer from hanging out with dogs who have their own time frame.
    You really did give yourself some challenges by not moving the flowers and I think you learned so much more by doing that. I love the way you broke your unspoken rules and shared the results with us. I like the one you call moody with the flowers peeking up above the grey shapes and lines. And I think the one with most of the fram empty is very successful. To me the flowers seem like ballerinas waiting to go on stage. I enjoyed this post a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love the description of Human Standard Time! Sounds like you enjoyed yourself and you did get some very nice shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your photos...I especially love the one of the unopened blossom hanging down the side, kind of looking up. the muted background is perfect...I'm really inspired by what you did here. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful flower and equally beautiful pictures. I really like your 2nd shot. The white wall with the splash of lavender from flower is just stunning.
    Isn't it nice to be able to spend time doing exactly what we like? We should really do it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I love how you thought of the rules and then deliberately broke them. What a great way to get creative! I enjoyed the story of growing the plant from the seed, it makes it even more interesting than it just being a plant you bought. I'm so glad you had fun with this exercise! I had fun reading about your experience and seeing the results. Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the color of this flower. Here in Indiana, we only have this flower available for indoors - a-n-d we have to really give it tender care. The color contrast of light gray background and the fuchia flower is so striking and pretty. Lovely close up shots of the flowers centers, and I especially love the bud hanging over the side of the pot - very nice balance on that one. Exciting, how you took time and shot in two different sessions to get so many options. Love the last picture shown, taken at an angle shot from the end of the porch rail!!
    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, the colour of that cyclamen is amazing! i really enjoyed reading your post. it is great to hear how you took your time & went about capturing the beauty of this plant. i am drawn to the first image, i like the lines & its simplicity. i also love the image where you completely ignored the plant, it creates a story for me, i want to know about the pot, its history & then i want to know about what colour will come sprouting out of the bud. i also love the one where you are looking down into the pot & its leaves with the petals in the top right corner, i love its composition. Great work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chelle. As for that pot, it's one I made many years ago.

      Delete
  9. You certainly took this lesson to heart and really "worked" it! What a beautiful subject - I love the color!!! My favs are #2 ( I do like that little stem on the far left - you could always try dodging it/lightening it a tiny bit, if it bothers you?) and #4. Love the unexpected nature of the composition in #4 - perfect! Besides beautiful colors, this shot also has exquisite values. Have you tried it in B&W, also? I'm always surprised how some of my flower shots look great in B&W.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Anna. At your suggestion I have now tried it in B&W and it is quite nice. I'll have to remember that as an option.

    ReplyDelete